help and advise with first attemped at the moon

Items used:

Dfk 21au618.As Colour Usb Camera

11inch celestron hd wedge, with a back focer.

Hi I feel somewhat embassies putting my images on here, after looking at the great work you guys do... anyway could you please be so kind as to look at my fist couple of images, and give feedback, advice, and any help. They were taken on the Brecon’s where i live last night.

The very last image is of Jupiter, but I could not get it in focus via the webcam, but with an eye pice the planet was crystal clear, however you could just make out what looked like the planet spinning on the laptop, but as you can see, a big fat zero, when it comes to imaging why?

I took about 1000 frames, using IC Capture, and had most of the setting on Auto, I need to learn the best way to use registax,,

Many thanks

Dave

I did post this on the Astro lounge

post-18566-0-95150600-1351452175_thumb.p

post-18566-0-74489400-1351452184_thumb.p

post-18566-0-74347000-1351452191_thumb.p

post-18566-0-41625300-1351452214.png

I think those are some lovely moon details. I've always been a bit biased against webcams due to the low resolution, but hey, those are great.

You're probably way more experienced than me but I thought that sometimes the camera is too close or too distant from the focus point, so you might have to add or remove spacing in front of the camera (with some sort of adapter or tube). I noticed it was impossible to fit my dslr via some bogus eyepiece projection adapter because the camera got too far from the focus point for the focuser to be able to adjust. Fitting it directly on the focuser without junk inbetween worked marvelous though.

I had the same issue as Carl with a DSLR and a skywatcher 150 not having enough inward travel in the focusser. I had to take the T adapter and eyepiece barrel out of the equation to achieve focus and it looks like you have a similar issue. Not sure how easy that would be to solve with your set up though - which isn't much help. If you lack outward travel it should be easier to add in some extra distance.

Archived