NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Vatican Astronomy conference

themos

The Vatican Observatory is located here in AZ, atop Mount Graham, where the Large Binocular Telescope is almost complete. Brother Guy Consolmagno gave a talk at SAC last year sometime, but I'm afraid I missed it. (Boycotted, really, on Galileo's behalf.) So, now I won't say another word. :lol:

Mmmmmm,the Vatican doesn't have the best track record in astronomy,no doubt they will have forgiven themselves for their abhorrent treatment of Galileo. :nono:

They didn't 'pardon' him until 1992...

Should have been in 1692 but the papers got misfiled! What is known in Vatican circles as "a right Papal Bull sup".

CW

• 2 weeks later...

I visited Brother Guy at Castel Gondolfo in November, 2000 (actually bought him lunch). He gave me a tour of the "grounds" (normally, off-limits, and no cameras allowed), where several very nice domes and old telescopes are located. The old scopes were in terrible shape - dusty, leaky domes, and full of mouse droppings. Apparently, all research is done in Arizona, in spite of some great instruments (40 cm Zeiss, dual Schmidt cameras, etc.). I nearly wept!

James

Mmmmmm,the Vatican doesn't have the best track record in astronomy,no doubt they will have forgiven themselves for their abhorrent treatment of Galileo. :nono:

They didn't 'pardon' him until 1992...

Should have been in 1692 but the papers got misfiled! What is known in Vatican circles as "a right Papal Bull sup".

CW

What's three centuries in the life of the Church Eternal?

Archived