NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ3 SynScan polar alignment - am I missing something?

Hi

I'm thinking about buying a Skywatcher explorer 150P on the EQ3 pro (synscan) mount, however all this I'm reading about polar alignment is scaring me a little!

I thought the polar alignment was only required for imaging, isn't aligning the mount to North sufficient for visual use?

I'm starting to wonder if the EQ3 pro mount may be a little complicated for me to use (unfortunately my PhD is in chemistry not astronomy!). My reason for wanting a go to mount is to maximise the time I can look at things- I don't want to be spending an hour each session trying to align the mount!

Maybe I'm overreacting, but I just want to ensure that I buy something I can actually use.

Ian, just to set your mind at ease a little, I bought the EQ3 SynScan pro as it is smaller and lighter than the EQ5/6 and more than adequate for my telescope and a DSLR mounted on it. As has been said, a general northern alignment is ok for visual use, so don't be put off. The mount is easy to transport and manoeuvre. The only reason I personally was trying to establish the exact way to set it up, is that I will be looking to do some longer exposure photography with it with DSLR, so my alignment needs are much more stringent than general viewing. That said, I can see why my ramblings would put you off. I typed it when I had just come in from the cold on my first session setting it up. Don't get me wrong, the polarscope is a bit of a pain, but like anything else, when you've used it a couple of times it gets much much easier. I was setting up slightly incorrectly which accounted for my mount being off a bit. Next time, I'm sure I will nail it.

Get the mount. It really is a brilliant piece of kit. If the manuals confuse you (as they did me, and many others here) just ask the Q on here and you will receive a wealth of informative answers. As have I here ;)

Good luck :)

Scott.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived