NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SW 100ED V SW 100ED Gold Tube

Hi refering to the thread title is there any difference between these two scopes? and already having a 120mm Bresser Pulsar would changing to I think a better quality scope although smaller would I get better visual results ? any guidence would be welcome

thanks Gordon

PS I have just fitted a new Carton 60mm lens in my old Prinz 550 WOW what a difference thanks richard at Skylight scopes for that one

The 120 lens would have to be around F/20, even made by Carton, to show no colour - thats a tube nearly 8 feet long !

As far as I'm aware there are no optical differences between the older ED100's and the newer ones. I used to own one of the original blue ED100's and it was an excellent scope. I now own a gold tube ED120 and that is excellent as well. The optics of these scopes are the same as the Equinox Pro refractors as well.

The 120mm Bresser would show deep sky objects better than an ED100 as aperture counts with those. On the moon and planets it's possible that the ED100 might do a little better as the chromatic aberration (CA) would be reduced to very low levels and alos the ED objective lenses that I've tried seemed less subject to other aberrations than their achromat cousins.

The ED100 is a lighter and shorter tube to mount which can be an advantage.

Archived