NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

lens-barlow-telescope combinations....

bingevader

I want to purchase a couple of eyepieces for my Skyliner 200p.

I've had an ETX90 with super plossls (4000) for over a decade.

My B-i-l is going to "borrow" that for a bit.

Should I keep the plossls and buy some budget eps for the etx?

Or buy something a bit better for the skyliner.

I'm not talking nagler mind you, it would probably still be in the sub £100 region - Panaview 2" and X-Cel LXs.

However, I've noticed that when using the meade eps and barlow x2 I have problems with the focal length and achieving focus at high power.

I'm used to focused fuzzy blobs with the etx, so I know it's not a light or power issue, I just hit the stop before focus.

BTW, having read this section for a while I wondered whether a sticky of peoples' general thoughts/impressions of eps at various price brackets might be a good idea, if some kind and generous person could compile it?

Cheers

A barlow usually pushes the focus further out. It is possible you focuser simply ran out of outwards travel. Next time you observe, unlock your focuser and gradually put it out, see if there is any improvement in focus. If outwards travel is an issue then you can get an extension tube. One of the cheapest way to get a 1.25" extension tube is to get a kit SW barlow and unscrew the lens. If your current barlow is a stock SW barlow then it may be worth sacrificing it for the extension tube and get a barlow upgrade.

What S4K plossl do you have at the moment?

Archived