Help with RAW files in DSS

Hi folks, i'm having a bit of trouble with Deep Sky Stacker. I've used it before but always with JPEGs. Last night i was shooting Orion and shot in JPEG and RAW formats so i could stack them individually today and see what the difference turned out to be.

I moved all my RAW files into a seperate folder so they are easy to find but when click on Open Picture Files in DSS, the folder appears empty... even though they are there because i have checked 'outside' of DSS.

Anybody able to throw me a bone here? I've had a look around online and cant find much about the problem.

I'm shooting with a Canon 1100d and using DSS 3.3.2. - But i did just download 3.3.3. and its doing the same thing.

???

Which 3.3.3 version did you download ? The latest looks to be beta 47...

Here's what the wiki has to say...

http://deepskystacker.wikispaces.com/Support+for+my+new+DSLR%3F

Now, I don't know if the issue you're reporting is due to the version of DSS... but I have to say, I've never opened the individual frames that way, and normally just drag them in from explorer and drop them in the file list... Give that a try.

Which 3.3.3 version did you download ? The latest looks to be beta 47...

Here's what the wiki has to say...

http://deepskystacke...or my new DSLR?

Now, I don't know if the issue you're reporting is due to the version of DSS... but I have to say, I've never opened the individual frames that way, and normally just drag them in from explorer and drop them in the file list... Give that a try.

Yeah, i have Beta 47. And thanks! Dragging them into the file list seems to have worked! One more thing though, i've somehow only just noticed there are options for registering and stacking checked pictures. I usually just click register. Whats the difference? Should i be doing both?

Have you changed the file type box to RAW ?

It may still be set to JPEG if that's what you've been using recently.

Steve.

Thanks for the reply Steve, the problem seems to be resolved. Just incase though, and for the future, where would i change the file type box? Cant seem to see that option.

Thanks for the reply Steve, the problem seems to be resolved. Just incase though, and for the future, where would i change the file type box? Cant seem to see that option.

When you click on the "Open Picture Files" option a box opens , at the bottom there is a dropdown "Files of type:" It gives you various file type options , RAW , JPEG , TIFF etc.

Try Doug's tutorial here . . . .

Steve

Archived