Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

canon 40d reassurance needed.

Dear guys/, you may recall from an earlier thread I`m looking for a new dslr- I had been thinking about the olympus e510- as live view, and was within price range(500 odd quid online). After advice from you guys I have decided on the new canon eos 40d (800 odd quid). This means perhaps not eating for a month or two. The main reason for buying the camera is for me and the wife to use whilst walking/at sporting events(I`m into my rugby and rallying)-she has agreed to it as she has taken fantastic pictures with my old 35mm slr.

I was fully turned to the advantage of live view after seeing a demo at camera labs(http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_EOS_40D/live_view_astro-photography.shtml), and the fact that my biggest problem with imaging- is that whilst my pc is up to the job, my old laptop isn`t- and set up times in the dark with leads, and using my dsi II can seem to take ages to get it just right( I know it`ll take a long time with a dslr- bear with me!)

Does anyone have any view on the new canon 40d/experiance- I`m now excited about buying( in a month or two) and anyhow I could lose a few kilo`s!

Thanks ian

• 1 year later...

Bought a Canon 40D today...!

LiveView is a gift Once set up can bang out loads of pics which was ideal as I was at a gaming convention and was asked to photograph some tiny hand-painted models for a competition. In at the deep end then, as I have never used a DSLR before. The 'Official' Geek there with the 400D took many, many, many shots. LiveView meant I could just compose the shot manually and fire off shots like a production line. I did about 5 times as many in the same time and finished with a set of nice shots for organisers, which they approved on site.

I left Mr Geek there... still geeking... and taking more shots.

Also Canon have extended their cashback offer ('til Jan 09) and Currys Digital (!) and were also giving 10% off on top just for today. So I got a 40D with the 17-85mm IS USM zoom £771 less the cashback of £60, = £711 then...

I'd planned to go for the Eos 450d, but the Sony A350 also looked good.

If you can get a 40D on offer, take it with this more versatile lens. The 18-55mm is good but thought this was too good a deal to miss.

Will post some results once hooked up to my Megrez 72 FD. Can't wait, as I have a Baader Hyperion Zoom with a T-ring to try it through.

It why I bought the 40D for imaging tests in my eZine. My excuse anyway.

My wife is still glaring at me. Through the wall.

Dave

Archived