USB to RS232 adapter problem

Hello,

I am in the process of connecting my EQ6 to my laptop, initally to update the firmware, but eventually to start controlling the mount from my PC.

As my laptop does not have an RS232 serial port, I am using a USB to serial port adapter.

My first attempt to update the firmware using the SynScan Firmware Loader resulted in a failure to connect. I got a "Cannot connect to Synscan hand control" message.

I then tried to connect to my desktop PC, thinking maybe i had a problem with my laptop. I got the same failure to connect message, but as my desktop PC does have a RS232 serial port connection, I tried connecting directly with that, and hey-presto I got connection and was able to update the firmware. :grin:

So, I'm OK with the firware update, but still want to start controlling my EQ6 with my laptop.

I then started investigating why the adapter cable was apparently not working. Back with my laptop again, i tried a second adapter that i own. That did not work either, ruling out a possible damaged cable issue.

I have checked that my Device Manager recognises the USB port connection. Device manager does recognise it and gives me a USB-SERIAL CH340 (COM4) entry, and does not display any errors. It says it is working properly and enabled. My USB adapter cable came with a driver disk, which i have installed.

I am now out of ideas! Has anyone had a similar issue? :embarrassed:

Neil

I try to stick with the Prolific or FTDI chipsets when using USB<->serial converters. I have a CH341 in my LX-modded SPC900 though and that seems to work fine thus far, but I don't know if the CH340 is the same thing. Different converters can be a bit variable because they don't support all the control lines or don't handle voltage levels correctly.

James

I'm suddenly having the exact same issue, despite it working previously.

I got it working on my normal Studio PC ages ago no problem. Tried to do the same with my new laptop today and I started getting the 'Internal error' warning and it wouldn't connect.

I then tried to connect my studio pc to the telescope again and it now does the same thing on that, which I can't understand. I haven't changed anything at all.

Any idea what is going on or how I can fix it? I'm simply running the nexremote software and have the USB connection plugged into a USB/RS232 converter that then runs into the connection on the bottom of the hand control unit. This worked before without an problem :sad:

Thanks for your advice JamesF,

I will check out the Prolific option, I've seen these mentioned on other sites. It has to be something to do with compatability of the CH340 I am using...

With your advice of fakes in mind, can you suggest a reputable source for the Prolific converter?

Neil

ps. Mrs Trellis is my great aunt, I just got a letter from her. :laugh:

I'm not sure which are reliable sources for the Prolific converters to be honest. It's the PL2302 you're after. If you search the forums for "prolific fake" then you should find some postings from people who know more about them than me.

James

Neil,

I seem to remember you can get hold of an app at the prolific US website that checks if the USB to serial converter is genuine prolific chip or a fake.

I experienced similar problems connecting to a CG5, and found the app helpful in sorting out the duds. Also suggest you're up date with windows updates; my problem went away after every single (important) update was installed.

The generic converter that worked for me was from Astronomia; I ended up sending the amazon ones back...

Sam

I have some trouble with mine, It's supposed to be a prolific but it doesn't work with that firmware loader, I used it for all sorts of things.

It feels kinda depressing of having a dead Synscan of your perfectly NEQ6 because of a stupid flash error. Hopefully it's not a complete brick!

Ordered a new USB to SERIAL adapter from a trusted dealer, it was also the highest ranked adapter, I hope it's gonna work now!

I was having all sorts of problems connecting my Mac to my telescope because of the RS232 port problem. In the end I gave up and bought a Southern Stars SkyFi. It's a bit expensive but it makes my life easier, and it's totally wireless. I can connect my Mac or iPad. I know it's not exactly the solution you were looking for.

I think my problem is a fake convertor as I downloaded the latest driver and it included the scanner that checks the chipset on a convertor plugged into the laptops ports. After running it's diagnostics it informed me there was no chipset connected (and i changed and checked every port avaialble) :|

So, looks like I bought a fake. So, I have now ordered a new cable that clearly states that the PL2303 chipset is incorporated, so hopefully I'll have more luck with that.

The odd thing is that the first few times I used it with my main studio pc, it had no problems. I found that bizarre!

Problem solved!

Having searched previous SGL foums on similar issues, this particular converter is recommended: http://www.tronisoft.com/prod.php?id=2327

I ordered it 2 days ago, connected it, downloaded the driver from the specified website, followed the simple and comprehensive instructions, connected my Synscan handset and it works.

Euphony:

my issue seems to have been simliar to yours in that my duff cable did work orignally with my Celestron Nexstar, but not with my EQ6. Let us know how you get on with your new PL2303 cable.

Thanks again for everyones feedback.

EQMOD for me next...

My new cable arrived yesterday. Had a very small hiccup trying to install it (a sys. file apeared to be missing from the windows 32 drivers section, so I had to find it online and copy over manually). Once I got that out of the way though it worked perfectly, the laptop shows the prolific connection in the ports section now.....phew! and my Nexremote now works :)

Just got to wait 6 weeks for a clear night when I'm available to play with it now :p

Archived