Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SW Coma Corrector.... Is it reducing too ?

badgers

Hi All,

On my Newt I use the Skywatcher coma corrector. It's advertised as being a 1.0x coma corrector.

One thing I've noticed though is that I get consistently more sky coverage when I image with it in place according to astrometry.

Here's an example from the Crescent (click to enlarge):

8100894997_882b284532_b.jpg

As you can see according to Stellarium and astrometry I'm getting a wider-field than predicted (top right is what I should get)

My refractor images come out exactly as they should when I examine them the same way, but the newt images all look like this with the corrector.

The images obtained look like they've come from a 690mm focal length instead of 750 (bottom right image).

So, the SW corrector seems to be acting as approximately a 0.92 reducer given the images I'm getting.

Has anyone else seen this kind of effect ?

I wouldn't mind a raw image or two from someone with the Coma corrector to see if I'm going crazy.

Ahh, good to know it's not just me.

Shame they don't tell you about this when you buy the corrector... I don't mind a little reduction, helps hoover up more photons, but still it would be nice to know.

Anton

Archived