First scope, reflector or mak-cass?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

200p on EQ5 is what i have for visiual and am very pleased with it. As long as you don't want to get into Astrophotography

it is a good set up for outside.

If AP is a consideration the mount would have to go to HEQ5 or NEQ6

But 200p is really good start

velvet

Well I've done it! Been using my binos for the last 2 hours enjoying some really nice sites and decided to go for it so ordered the 200p with eq5 and a cheshire!

Really can't wait and with my birthday early next month then xmas I think I will have a few EP's and others on my wish lists =D

Thanks to everyone who gave their advice!

Now to soon join in with some discussion threads once I get going :grin:

Great stuff! Hope you can open it without letting the clouds out. I have heard that they've started packing the clouds inside the OTA now, which is a shame :grin: .

I'm sure you'll enjoy your new scope :).

Yeah, :) whichever mount its on the 200p OTA is a good all round scope, and although still learning I found the EQ5 sufficient (when motorised) for basic DSLR photography, and even without motors a webcam will work well for planets.

Though finding your bearings in visual use first is a good idea, learn the sky and get used to the set-up.

In time the other options may seem like a natural next step.

Regards

Aenima

Yeah a couple of breaks in the clouds at the mo but I can't miss the footy :mad: grr!

Just Collimated it ready hopefully their will be some stars poking thru after 10pm to be able to get my first light!

blumming CLOUDS!!! :p

Finally a clear night (freezing) :p however I must be doing something wrong as I can't see anything properly through the scope I suspect I might have collimated it wrong but earlier when it was light I was setting up the finder scope and had it so I could see through both.

Im Sure that I'm missing something but don't know what. If I look at the moon it does shine light back but their is no clear image.

Any suggestions guys?

That does look bad. :)

And you have an eyepiece in ? - how did you take the video, it should not show the spidervane crossing the image.

how collimated is it? Was it straight from the box or have you adjusted it?

Sorry 4 the questions it helps to figure out a few things. :)

Aenima

haha no probs! thanks for trying to help.

Yes had the super 25 eyepiece in

used my camera phone the image is almost what I see through my eye just smaller as the camera is further away.

I used the cheshire in the eyepiece looked straight down and using the primary mirror only adjusted the screws until I got the circles aligned and thought they looked like in the booklet and vids.

Other than that I haven't really adjusted anything, haven't even touched the secondary mirror.

I have have rushed collimating and not made doubly sure :S

Is the secondary showing a lit circle when u look straight down focus hole without an ep in, the 2ndary should shine back and show perfect circle.

Your view through the eyepiece when focused should be free of any crosses from the 2ndary mirror supports.

What collimator have you got?

Aenima

Yeah, it does seem a very basic problem rather than out of focus slightly it looks like an important adjustment has been missed, and funny as I thought it looked like ep wasnt there but assumed otherwise and didnt want to seem rude...:)

Either way your going to need to go over the set-up and other initial adjustments again just in case.

Sorry cant be more help, try to update as well as you can so more advice can be given.

Best of luck.

Regards

Aenima

• 2 weeks later...

I have retried collimating again over the weekend. Funny thing is that I can view something like a chimney on a rooftop but when I point towards a star that view from the vid is all I get or maybe I don't have the object in the view properly? Maybe there is something wrong with the eyepiece? I will try again and use the 10mm next chance I get.

Sorry for the Delay been busy busy busy :cool:

Hopefully - he says - it will be clear here for a while tonight.....

Dont know if its possible but i'll try and get the same view on my scope to compare the views, might hit on to something. :confused:

The video is strange, usually an eyepiece (held up to the eye) shows nothing but a blur - but the spider and secondary mirror look clear, almost as if looking right at them through the focus hole or even down the tube (!) but as your viewing chimnies clearly, that i'm assuming were miles away, then hopefully u can rule out a lot of scary stuff like broken parts etc

God luck on fixing the problem - dont worry there'll be more.....:)

Regards

Aenima

I have retried collimating again over the weekend. Funny thing is that I can view something like a chimney on a rooftop but when I point towards a star that view from the vid is all I get or maybe I don't have the object in the view properly? Maybe there is something wrong with the eyepiece? I will try again and use the 10mm next chance I get.

Sorry for the Delay been busy busy busy :cool:

I think more pictures will help, of the set-up and anything else you can think of.

Regards

Aenima

Hiya,

Laney88, if you check your inbox there should be a msg that explains that view in your videos, you just need to remove the extra adapter tube, the 2" extension is not used for normal observing - I think its for cameras - but your eyepiece holder screws straight into the focuser and then the eyepice slots into that - and if you use a barlow then the barlow also slots straight into the 1.25" eyepiece holder and then the eyepiece slots into the back of the barlow, either way the extra adapter tube isn't needed, put it back in the box. :)

Hope this helps.

Best of luck

Aenima

I've just caught up with this thread. The Skywatcher 200P's come with 2 eyepiece adapters - one for 1.25" eyepieces and one for 2" eyepieces. Unlike other types of scope, you must use these separately otherwise you won't be able to get eyepieces to focus on distant, ie: astro, objects. Confusingly they will focus on nearer objects such as chimneys etc.

The Skywatcher instructions (such as they are !) are not clear on this and it's a common problem for newcomers to these scopes.

Sounds like you have worked this out now so I hope it's sorted. Very confusing and frustrating though, until you figure it out.

Archived