NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Newbie to telescopes

It sounds like a good visual setup, and the mount gives you potential to get serious about astro-photography. You'd need advice from others on whether prime-focus can be reached with a DSLR on the 200p.

As you say you are at the £1100 mark now (or £990 from FLO...) so I wouldn't rush into a decision if it was my money 8-) Also if you haven't used a scope before (?) then it might be a good idea to get a look through one first as the views might not be quite what you are expecting, and the practicalities of dragging everything outside, alignment, collimation etc. are not for everyone.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sounds like a good visual setup, and the mount gives you potential to get serious about astro-photography. You'd need advice from others on whether prime-focus can be reached with a DSLR on the 200p.

As you say you are at the £1100 mark now (or £990 from FLO...) so I wouldn't rush into a decision if it was my money 8-) Also if you haven't used a scope before (?) then it might be a good idea to get a look through one first as the views might not be quite what you are expecting, and the practicalities of dragging everything outside, alignment, collimation etc. are not for everyone.

I have a Canon DSLR and film SLR with some very good 400mm lens, so I am used to sitting in the garden [usually with a beer] while taking shots with my Canon on Tripod - not the same as a telescope I know, but along the same lines.

It is something I should have got into many moons ago [excuse the pun] - Its now time to, but as the camera's and lens, I need to know what the bestTelescope and Mount to buy for my needs.......

You attach the body only into the eyepiece tube holder.

You'll need a 'T2 Mount' adaptor (Canon fit) and a 'T-mount to eyepiece tube' adaptor. You'll need advice from others on the second one as I have an AZ mounted scope and use an adapter that slides into the 1.25" eyepiece tube. On an EQ mount I wouldn't know if that was secure enough. Don't want your camera falling off...

You'll also need to research whether you can achieve prime focus on a 200p, I think you can but best to ask someone who has one.

Archived