Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How does work interfere with your stargazing ??

breezy

Work a 42 + hours a week, often with early starts, so can't spend as long as I wish on the odd occasion we have a clear night :) - Fortunately work is Mon-Friday so the weekends are free. Mind you I much prefer it when it all comes together on a Friday night, so at least you have Saturday and Sunday to recover !!

This was one of the reasons I opted for an Observatory. It allows me to open up, observe or do a quick image session for a few hours and then close up in time for bed without the all the fuffing about taking kit out and back in again. Having said that, Like Rik I too took advantage of a spell of three or four clear nights last year, with only 3 hrs of kip between them (plus 40 winks at lunch time)... by the morning of the last day I was like a zombie, couldn't think straight and the 40 winks at lunchtime turned into a couple of hours !! - For me my boss found it quite amusing when his call woke me at 3:20pm asking if I was going to grace the department with my presence !

Like Rik I too try to be more sensible with my observing these days. It hurts if things are running well and the conditions are good, but I won't stay later than 12:30 am on a week night if I have work the next morning.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lately it's the weather that's been interfering with my stargazing. However, I'm working three shift and when I'm on the night shift, I'm usually keep my small 90mm Mak in the car. So when I'm on a break, I can go out to have a quick peek (weather permitting of course).

I'm a truck driver working nights so not at home when it's dark much, but I collect milk from farms so always take my binos out with me for a bit of observing.

It's great working nights, in fact seeing so many meteors and fireballs when in the truck along with noctiluscent clouds is probably what got me in to stargazing in the first place.

I generally work 3pm to 10pm, so there's always a chance to view in the week when everyone else has gone to bed. The main trouble I have is squaring weekend sessions - which means heading out to a non-LP site - with my g/f who has a completely different timetable to me during the week, so doesn't see me that much.

Well it's clear , it's 2 am and I'm not at work , the trouble and strifes snoozing and me an the dog are making the most out of a lovely clear night . Fingers crossed for tomorrow too before the shifts interfere again , thanks for the insight into how you manage everyone :)

Archived