Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astronomik CLS

Kenza

The clip filter will clip into your camera between the lens and your sensor like it is shown in the picture in the link below.

http://www.rotherval...lter_d3555.html

This is the one I have and would probably be better for your needs.

The 2" one is threaded and attaches differently, I don't think there is any difference of the actual filter beyond where you put them in the camera setup.

It may be more useful if you plan to use it also for observing.

Note if you get the EOS-clip version, you can't use EF-S lenses while it is fitted. Then again the 2" version might not be so useful with EF-S lenses either... if you're using a scope there's not much in it, but the 2" will be more "future proof" if you might use different sensors in the future e.g. a dedicated CCD. On that note, it may be more forward thinking to get the CLS-CCD version as that also blocks IR, but costs a bit more too.

Apparently you can attach the 2" filter to the EP using appropriate stepping rings (eg a 48-52mm stepping ring for a ef 50/1.8). The front mounted filter will be more expensive but it will work correctly no matter how fast the lens is - the clip-in have to deal with an angled light cone and start malfunctioning below f2.8. But then, would you shoot wider than f2.8?

I am tending towards the 2" filter route - they will be adequate up to 100/f2.0 and will work with my nice ef-s 55-250. I'm put off by the thought of trying to dig the clip-in out of the camera - "no tools required, but a screwdriver can be helpful..."

Removing the clip filter can be tricky without tools. I wish they put a slight indentation to let a fingernail grip. I use an old ice lolly stick to help the tighter ones, and one time when I got careless, I almost put it through the mirror... Speed isn't as big an issue as, for example, lens quality. I have a selection of Astronomik filters in EOS-clip and have used them all at f/2 in the past. In previous e-mails with Astronomik they did say they're ok to f/2, even if their website suggests f/2.8 onwards as an optimal working range.

Are 2" filters on the same size and thread series as photographic threads? Or do you need a dedicated adapter?

Psychobilly says he has used 2" filters with lenses and stepping rings.

Your story about nearly totalling the camera while changing clipins really sells me on the idea of 2" filters. I also have a theory that there will be less issues with haloes with a front-mounted filters, but it is just a hunch.

The clip-in can only be used on a camera, but many of the filters (like Ha or SII) are useless for visual purposes anyway. The 2" could be used more flexibly, with a CCD, in a filter wheel and so on.

Archived