Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Better Mount

IF01

I am considering purchasing the Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT as my first scope. Most reviews I have seen comment that the mount with SkyAlign and motor is perhaps a little less that adequate. Is there any other mount that would do a better job without braking the bank?

The trouble with the SLT series and the similar Skywatcher Synscan AZ, is a lot of the money goes into the electronics, the GOTO. Which means they skimp on other aspects, namely the cheap legs and slightly inadequate single arm fork. I almost bought one but at the last minute decided my limited budget was better spent on an EQ3-2 mounted telescope. In hindsight i should have gone one step further and gone the dobsonian route. The same budget buys a Skywatcher 200P dobsonian with money left to spare. A proper aperture that won't leaving feeling "if only".

I agree with Fred you could get the SW 200 Dob and it would be cheaper.

If you're happy with a little bit of a learning curve you will soon be able to find the objects with a combination of a Skymap/atlas, Telrad and good widefield EP. You'll get a greater sense of satiisfaction and a better view of the object

The 127 SLT would be ok for Planetary viewing and webcam imaging though. Neither would be any good for DSO imaging.

I nearly bought the Celestron Nexstar 127, but I read that the mount was not very good, so chucked the cheque book to the wind and found a second hand Celestron C8-SGT XLT GOTO at half price on ebay, more than I wanted to pay, but now I have a scope that I will keep for a long time (most probably see me out) so in the long run I should save me some money as they say buy cheap buy twice

I've actually had the scope since March this year and have only used it a few times as I had to save up for all the rest of the gear and it was only 3 days ago I bought my last eyepiece so with a bit of luck I won't have to spend to much now.

Archived