Best binoculars under £50 - present buying!

Hello!

I wonder if anyone can help me? I am about to buy my husband his first pair of binoculars for his birthday, it's going to be a surprise so I can't actually ask him for help! Please can someone suggest which ones are good all rounders for a novice? I have been doing my own research and can't decide between

http://www.amazon.co...49899376&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B0000YVEG0/

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!

Well I'm a relative newcomer but I do remember being recommended 10x50 as the best starting magnification/field of view combination. So I would say the first Olympus 10x50's look ideal.....big saving and good reviews. I have no experience of the other zoom variety but if it were me I'd be very pleased with the NON zoom. I THINK at this price range the wider (50) field is more useful to a beginner but stand to be corrected.....

Just read a bit more and while the 10x50 does offer slightly wider field of view, the bigger advantage is its superior light gathering over the 40's which for astronomy is preferred so, again.... The NON zoom appears the winner and it's cheaper!

Even for terrestial use I'd avoid zoom binoculars. Certainly at that price range I'd avoid them. I have a pair of zoom binoculars that my wife gave me and almost always leave them fixed at the lowest magnification as the loss of quality as it zooms means that the zoom has no real advantage.

Archived