Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Camera orientation

Is there any benifit to having your Guiding Camera & Imaging Camera sensors oriented the same way? Should they be already?

Im off outside to pick a 'Home' position on my QHY8L so i can ensure the sensor is oriented the same way in the scope but it the occured to me about the above.

Cheers

No. There may be an advantage to having your guide camera orientated along RA and Dec, depending on your guide software, but there is no need whatever for the imaging camera to be orientated along with the guide cam. In fact I tend to try to orientate both along RA and Dec but that is just out of habit and because Dennis shouts at me if my final images are not North at the top!! (More seriously I have square chips so coming back to images another year etc is easier if they are aligned thus and I only have 45 degrees of rotational freedom anyway.)

Olly

Archived