NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

1100D - new camera- now what!

CFC

I'm so thrilled - I am waiting on delivery of a 1100D. I've never owned a DSLR before, nor even a SLR. I shall be a nuisance to all my nearest and dearest playing with it.

Of course now I want to use it with my tellyscopes.

I have a 150p Skyliner and a Nexstar 4SE. I know I will be limited in exposure due to not having an equatorial mount, but I do want to take some photos with it.

I know that you need a T ring and an adaptor. However I am sure I read somewhere about there sometimes being a 'travel' problem on some scopes or some cameras that mean you can't actually take photos. Can someone explain and put me on the right track, I don't want to go buying rings and adaptors if it isn't going to work, because budget's always tight of course!

I'm pretty sure your OK with the 150P skyliner. The problem is that with some smaller scopes (I think its the 130 size Newts??) you cannot get the focusser to go far enough inwards to get focus with a DSLR. Once you have the attachments - go for the Moon!

I got a 4SE too. There's two options on that. You can get a dedicated adapter that fits on the back, or you can get a generic eyepiece fit for the side port. The rear adapter doesn't have a way to hold filters though, whereas you can with the eyepiece adapter. But as the eyepiece is reflected, the image would need flipping afterwards. I'd suggest the eyepiece adapter if you only get one, as that can also be used with a barlow for more magnification. As is, the scope generally gets the moon in a single shot unless it is relatively close. With a barlow you can have a go at planets although a DSLR isn't the best choice for that.

Archived