NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Quantum 7 x 2" USB Filterwheel

Earl

Having changed my kit from a Dual scope setup over to a single scope I wanted to get all my filters in one wheel to save faffing about.

Now this is not as easy as it sounds as there are not many 7 position 2 inch wheels, Bern at Modern Astronomy sells the Quantum Electronic Filter Wheel by Brightstar, having used their manual wheels I know the build quality is good so decided to take the plunge on this wheel, it is cheaper than the atik and the same price as the SX wheels but those are both only 5 position 2" wheels.

The Quantum 7 x 2" comes with M54 Ports, a two inch push fit adapter and an adapter to attach your CCD I asked Bern to provide a M54 to T-Thread, this only added 1mm Between the CCD and the Filter wheel, this is not as good as the Atik option which offers 0mm and is adjustable, but ill live with it.

Also supplied is a USB lead and Driver disk, on installing the drivers it automatically detected that i was running a 64bit OS (my Office PC), I then installed the Windows application to test it out, both these installed without any errors. ( I have not looked at any updated options on the manufactures website yet).

(edit) A note this is powered via USB

As soon as you plug the wheel in it self calibrates then is detected by windows.

On plugging in the wheel it is detected by windows, but you do need to wait for it to sort itself out and install a com port.

Once this is done it is all ready.

The software is very easy to use and has simple options

So far Im very happy as to how this performs, It is very big as you would expect with a 7 x 5".

Scope arrives tomorrow as does the cloud !!!!

post-6688-0-35292400-1349111469_thumb.jp

post-6688-0-88707900-1349111491_thumb.pn

post-6688-0-06491700-1349111500_thumb.pn

Archived