NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Camera with no thread...options.

autonm

I have a 200p dobsonion. With its current mount not ideal for astro photography ..... How ever I am interested it starting with basics of taking pictures (of the current) full moon.

I have a (in my opinion) very good/quality Pocket digital camera http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/panasonic_lumix_dmc_tz30_review/

However it's obvious downside is that it has no thread around the lense for an adaptor to fit onto my scope.

Years ago I read about someone fine a 2" drain pipe and cutting a few inches of it. Thos then sat nicely of the lense of the camera and slotted into the eye piece of the telescope.

Just wondering if anyone has any other work arounds until I can get my hands on a camera with a thread. ( or am I just going to have to hold up the camera manually).

Just been trying holding the ca,era directly up to my 10mm and 25mm Eye piece ... With a slightly shakey hand I have managed to take some half decent pictures of the full moon.

How ever then tried removing the eye piece and directly holding the camera to the scope..... Nothing all I could see was the spider legs reflecting from my dobsonion 200.

Is this expected?

Buzzbomb - I didn't quite understand your answer, a bit cryptic to me being a noob !

Thanks.

Just been trying holding the ca,era directly up to my 10mm and 25mm Eye piece ... With a slightly shakey hand I have managed to take some half decent pictures of the full moon.

How ever then tried removing the eye piece and directly holding the camera to the scope..... Nothing all I could see was the spider legs reflecting from my dobsonion 200.

Is this expected?

Buzzbomb - I didn't quite understand your answer, a bit cryptic to me being a noob !

Thanks.

If you use a camera with a lens you will only get an image of the secondary. For cameras with fixed lenses you need to image through an eyepiece (afocally). For cameras with detachable lenses you can connect the body directly to the focuser (prime focus) or attach the body to an eyepiece (eyepiece projection).

Peter

Archived