Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Virtual Machines running two rigs

Ford Prefect

Hi all

Im luckily enough to have an observatory with 2 rigs, one is running a C11 edge on an EQ6, and the other a C8 hyperstar on a Heq5. I’m running SNPP6, eqmod, phd, Maxmin DL, my question is could I run both rigs off the one PC if I created virtual machines. ?

Has anyone out there attempted this ?

cheers Jon

Im luckily enough to have an observatory with 2 rigs, one is running a C11 edge on an EQ6, and the other a C8 hyperstar on a Heq5. I’m running SNPP6, eqmod, phd, Maxmin DL, my question is could I run both rigs off the one PC if I created virtual machines. ?

Has anyone out there attempted this ?

cheers Jon

Using Virtualbox you can assign a USB device to a guest, which allows the VPCs to access and control devices. I guess the big question would be whether the packet latency is low enough to tickle your CCDs in a timely enough manner. Personally, I've had very little success using webcams on guest VMs - though my USB printer seems fine with the arrangement. I reckon the possibility would hinge on the implementation of the drivers.

You'll just have to give it a try :cool:

Thank you Pete for doing the honours but Jon as a MOD should know better, end of matter as far as I am concerned.

On the subject of two mounts, I have set that up and for the moment will be using Stellarium to do the controling until I figure out the EQmod part. As for all the extras, they will be controlled as normal through their respective programmes via the USB hubs. I have not used Virtualbox before so will read up on that and see what it will do for me :).

Jim

Further to using two mounts at once I have decided that I will stick to using the two with Stellarium and but only one with EQmod whenever I need to. I feel there is too much hassle in installing more software to do the same job. I will use EQmod to guide during AP and Stellarium for general viewing, swopping mounts as necessary.

Jim

Archived