SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Is there an APS size mono camera?

Jessun

I'm keen to try a mono as a compliment to my OSC - adding Ha for instance, and it would be convenient to have both covering the same FOV.

My OSC is an APS size chip, and I've looked around for a mono of that size with no success. Does anyone here know of one?

Thanks,

Isn't the Atik 383L got a similar sized chip? The reason I think so is that Carole (Carastro) is using a mono 383L alongside her DSLR. If the sizes aren't totally comparable then you can always resize in Maxim or Registar to get the size the same.

There are mono sensors from Kodak/Truesense. Some KAI sensors (like KAI-08050) of such/similar size should be priced below 1000 EUR per sensor (end price). They aren't however used in astro cams.... aside maybe some FLI, APOGEE cameras which are high end and insanely priced. :D

I think the SXVR-M25C is 23.4 x 15.6 mm (no I don't think - I copied and pasted from their website obviously...) The Atik falls just short of that.

I know Registar etc can do wonders, but if I'm using the same scope, one sensor (the mono or the colour) will determine the FOV available for a combined processing.

I'll google on! Thanks for the tips. Right now the SX full size range seems closest - and may have a feel of familiarity to them for me. Then the 16003 sensor looks ever more interesting since I'd be sizing things up anyhow... but that's insane territory, plus misses the point of being able to overlap as much as possible with the OSC. So a smaller sensor and second scope??

Oh dear, oh dear...

Archived