Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Focusers Help

Hi Guys

I have a C9.25, it still has the stock focuser which i'm looking to replace. The focuser in my SCT can replaced with a Badder Steel Track which means disasembling the existing one or i can leave the stock focuser in and buy a Steel Track focuser which attaches to the visual back.

Is there any reasons to do one or the other?

Cheers

The C925's stock focuser is a shifting mirror focuser. It's not mean to be disassemble and you should leave it in place. With the exception of the Feathertouch SCT microfocuser, all SCT focuser upgrades screw on to the SCT rear cell. The C925 uses the standard 2" SCT thread.

I use the C925 stock shifting mirror focuser for coarse focus and then fine tune with the crayford.

I don't have any experience with the Starlight SCT microfocuser, so I can't comment its performance against a crayford. I heard it reduces mirror flop compare to the standard focuser knob and it is the only way to focus a SCT using Hyperstar.

The operation of a Crayford such as the Baader steeltrack would be fairly similar to a refractors and should be sufficient for planetary imaging. They have relatively limited travel, so you will need to use the stock focuser for coarse focus.

Archived