NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First visit to local astronomical society

Mansnake

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, Thanks.

Was a Celestron Nexstar 5SE - purchased from First Light Optics on their clearance thread earlier this year.

I had either the standard Celestron eyepiece that comes with the scope or a Meade 13mm Plossl in at the time.

The 5SE is a good compromise between portability, light gathering power, magnification and transportable in my little car with 3 teenagers!

Chris

Good question - having owned a 130 Heritage...the light gathering potential is the same at 5 inches, but I think that the image would not be so contrasty. The Schmidt-Cassegrain design seems to gives more contrast when viewing than my old 130P Heritage - that said the Heritage has an open truss tube, so not so well shielded from stray light.

Think the 130P would be better at the fainter Deep Space Objects as the magnification is not so high. The Sunday Times Magazine rated the the Celestron Version http://www.firstligh...ar-130-slt.html as a best buy last year, same scope, different mount / software...made by the same company. At £290 the Skywatcher is a great price for a capable scope http://www.firstligh...an-az-goto.html.

Hopefully a more experienced owner will add their comments / observations too (please)!

Lewis, perhaps a good idea to start a new thread with the question of the differences between the two....more likely to get a response?

Chris

Thanks Chris.

Yea i may do that. the choice is so hard !

I just want something thats a good all rounder with DSO's, planets and eventually attach a webcam to it.

I dont think ill go for an EQ mount yet as i need it to be fairly grab and go and dont have to worry about balancing the mount whenever i change between visual observing and imaging.

The question really is ST 102 or 130P Newt ?

As soon as i start thinking about it i get more questions....

Hi Lewis,

Have a chat with Jean-Paul when he's next at Nas, despite the 102 on the AZ GoTo he's gotten some images from it.

I too have the 102 short tube, so if you want to have a play with it when the skies are clear? It's a great scope for the money, but the focuser is a tad rubbish. Sadly, a new one costs as much as the scope!

Cheers

Chris

Hi Lewis,

Have a chat with Jean-Paul when he's next at Nas, despite the 102 on the AZ GoTo he's gotten some images from it.

I too have the 102 short tube, so if you want to have a play with it when the skies are clear? It's a great scope for the money, but the focuser is a tad rubbish. Sadly, a new one costs as much as the scope!

Cheers

Chris

Thanks Chris that's very kind of you. I would love to see the 102 in action and see the views through it.

Has Jean-Paul got an account on here at all? i wouldn't mind seeing the images he got with the 102

Archived