NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stellarium, EQMOD & Win 7

Hi Guys,

I am facing a problem with Stellarium for scope control.

I installed Stellarium, Stellarium Scope, ASCOM platform, and EQMOD on a win xp laptop and they all worked fine together. I am able to update Stellarium Config file from Stellarium Scope and then I can control my EQ3-2 GOTO with Stellarium and it worked really well.

Now, I have installed all of those on a Win 7 laptop and no success. Stellarium Scope and EQMOD connected to the mount and I could manually control the mount through EQMOD. But it could not update the config.ini of the Stellarium. in fact it could not even find it! I tried to introduce the telescope manually in Stellarium but that too didn't work.

Perhaps someone have had the same problem? Appreciate any advise.

Thanks,

Naeim

If you have installed the same version on Win7 as on XP then I suspect that it could well not operate.

The 2 operating systems are somewhat different, the big change to a user and many applications being writing to the Program area in XP you could and many application did, in Win7 it is not allowed. I would guess that you .ini file is in the programs folder and so cannot be updated

Which version are you attempting to install, latest appears to be 11.4 for 32 bit and 64 bit.

Are you installing the correct version of 32 or 64 bit?

That is all I can think of but I do not use Stellarium, however the swap from Stellarium under XP to Win7 may best not be considered an upgrade but more a complete change where the "old" version is removed and a new version installed.

Try running Stellarium as an administrator or in compatibility mode perhaps?

Have you considered Cartes du ciel instead of Stellarium? It's not as pretty but has ASCOM compliance which makes life & connectivity slightly easier.

I am using two different laptops. the one with Win XP works fine with Stellarium and EQMOD, but the Win 7 laptop doesnt.

Stellarium Scope fails to update the configuration of the stellarium software and I cant find the config.ini file anywhere in the stellarium folder!

EQMOD controller works fine and can move the mount no problem.

Any idea where config.ini would be on a Win 7 system? I am using 0.11.4 64bit and it runs ok.

Thanks,

Try running Stellarium as an administrator or in compatibility mode perhaps?

Have you considered Cartes du ciel instead of Stellarium? It's not as pretty but has ASCOM compliance which makes life & connectivity slightly easier.

I think I will eventually move back to Carte Du Ciel if I don't succeed this afternoon.

As you said not as pretty but works perfectly and I don't want to lose tonight's clear sky!

Solved the issue at last... the problem was that Stellarium Scope did not automatically update the config.ini of Stellarium.

I defined a new telescope in Stellarium, and made sure the TCP/IP port number match that of Stellarium Scope, and then it worked fine!

Archived