Where to go?

Hi All,

Being very new to astronomy I have bought the odd book and the Sky at Night beginners guide to astronomy. It's all good and feel confident in getting out there. But any recommendations where? I live in a flat in Stockport (not to far from Manchester Airport). I have no equipment as yet but may opt for a cheap pair of bins and eyes until I save for my first scope. But any ideas on where to go? Light pollution is pretty bad around here but I have a car. I do feel a little odd about driving to a field somewhere in the middle of the night but it may come t that. But I'm also thinking of the future I.e. taking a scope out. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advanced,

David

LP is pretty bad in Manchester & surrounding area, but a semi dark sky should not be too far away. The BBC Stargazing Live came from Jodrell Bank, just down the road, and they seemed to see quite a lot from the field outside the studio.

Other than that, east looks to be the best direction to find a dark sky. Somewhere beyond Hyde, towards the Peak District.

I have no knowledge of your area but linking up with a local astro club might be a good idea for your own security and to avoid unwarranted interference in what you are doing but also from a more positive viewpoint, to link in with people that have some experience of the night sky and that could help you further when it comes to upgrading to a scope.

James

Funny you should mention the Macclesfield society as they look good and was on their site earlier. It's a bit of a trek though for the meetings. The West Didsbury Society looks good also and very local

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

it would be the best solution to find a club and meet up with a group, but for those nights that you will be on your own, it would be a good idea to take a drive out in the day time and find a spot out of the way of passing cars and unwanted poeple, if you catch my drift. I have to travel out of town for observing and most of the time on my own, but I have a fairly safe spot,

good luck

I like your thinking.

Surprise view is a bit of a trek aswell but would be worth it (about 35 miles).

Thanks guys, I'm going to use a bit of commonsense, look for a local club and be on the lookout for some "safe" dark sky areas where I can start learning the sky

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Lyme Park?

I've never been but I don't live too far away. It would be worth checking out during the day and seeing what its all about (be nice if I could go there)

Thanks for the other recommendations everyone. It sucks not having a garden but then again it seems some people have problems with LP anyway.

After looking at their website, it looks like they close the gates at 6.30 but I reckon a phone call to see if they were flexible would be worth a punt. If not, the Bow Stones on the ridge above the park would give a better panorama.

EMS has a dark site at Belper which is about a one hour drive from Stockport. I drive there from Leicester a similar distance and time to the south. Check out the EMS section in "Social Groups" half way down the main board if that idea appeals to you. They're a very friendly and welcoming bunch who meet regularly for group observing. :)

Archived