Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I think I broke my USB hub?

Simple setup wihich I use all the time - as I don't have enough USB ports on the lappy I use a cheap unpowered 4-way hub. It takes the mouse (I hate those lappy pad things!) the dongle for the game controller (for EQMOD) and the USB cable from the DSLR camera.

Tonight I have changed the camera from battery to mains power (via an adapter). I pre-checked the camera and it works perfectly with the mains adapter.

However, as soon as I plugged the camera USB into the hub I had problems. The mouse froze (it works when tried alone directly into the computer) and the game controller refused to work (but works on its own when plugged in directly). If I plugged the (mains powered) camera in directly it was not recognised by the lappy - the Canon utility software would start but would not let me control the camera.

I have removed the USB hub as it now seems to be "dead". I have returned the camera to battery power and it is now working normally when plugged directly into the lappy.

Two conclusions: I have "blown" my USB hub. Can you do that? - surely there is nothing inside it except a few connectors?

Second the mains supply to the camera is doing something strange to the output USB cable? If so what could it be?

Any ideas please?????

The only thing I have changed from my normal set-up 9which has worked for months) is to have the 1000D on a mains adapter rather than its own battery. Now if I take the camera out of the hub the mouse is frozen and the game controller doesn't work - hence my assumption that the hub is "broken".

Sometimes just the order you connect things makes a difference. I don't think it's possible to blow a hub by connecting devices to it eventhough it does pack circuits, after all the hub is providing the power, via the laptop.

I use a powered hub, just to make sure I don't get dips in voltage. If I use an unpowered one then nothing works really due to long cables and the Lodestar guide cam is strangely enough sending a smaller and smaller image back, as voltage drops - like it's letter boxed.

It sounds like the cam usb is the culprit, but I can't come up with a rational explanation. I'd try a powered hub anyways, so I think the Sailor is on to something.

The powered one takes anything between 7-24 volts so you can use it in the field with any battery that potentially drops in voltage over the duration of the session. Mine is mounted in my 'rolling obsy', and works fine - not to say that it would necessarily cure the OP's problem, but it - or someting similar - may be more reliable in using a range of devices. Worth a shot in the dark.

Been to the shops - bought a new hub - connected everything, one at a time untill I had camera (on mains) mouse and gamepad attached - everything works!! Don't you just hate coincidental failures when you are trying out new kit for the first time :eek:

PS Thanks for your help and comments.

Archived