Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Guide scope

The_PSY3NTIST

Hi all<br />I have just got all the bits together to start guiding but would like some advice on the guide scope please. I have a 60mm f/11 celestron knocking about that I intend to give a try but wondered what is the slowest usable scope in other peoples opinions. I intend to get the st80 at some point but for now it will have to wait. Do you think it is achievable with the celestron I mentioned. Any advice welcomed<br /><br />Thanks

Hi all<br />I have just got all the bits together to start guiding but would like some advice on the guide scope please. I have a 60mm f/11 celestron knocking about that I intend to give a try but wondered what is the slowest usable scope in other peoples opinions. I intend to get the st80 at some point but for now it will have to wait. Do you think it is achievable with the celestron I mentioned. Any advice welcomed<br /><br />Thanks

Hi

I had a cheap 60mm refractor which I tried to use as a guidescope but found it a problem. I believe it was also F11.

My solution was to take it apart to find that it had 2 lenses, one of which appeared to be a colour corrector.

When I took this one out I was able to experiment with an eyepiece and a temporary tube (Kitchen Roll holder) to find the new focus point (allowing for play either way). I then cut the tube down to match and reassembled it. Hey presto....short tube refractor! I think it got the focal ratio to something like F4

I am also looking to get the ST80 soon but my 'bodge job' works for now.

Regards

Tony

Just a thought if you are brave enough to give it a try

Thanks tony. That sounds like a great idea! I'll have a go at that today :) its only a cheap nexstar 60 so nothing to lose. What makes you want to get the st80 if this works? Also what distance roughly did you focus to decide to tube length?

Many thanks

Hi,

Looks like you have it sorted.

I just measured where the point of 'Focus' was and then allowed for inward and outward travel of the focuser. I may just have got lucky.

I only want the ST80 because it should give me more in the way of guide star options. I can generally find a guide star with the 'bodge job' but I have to mess about a fair bit with the guidescope rings to find one bright enough... I guess I'm just lazy.

Regards Tony

Hi,

Looks like you have it sorted.

I just measured where the point of 'Focus' was and then allowed for inward and outward travel of the focuser. I may just have got lucky.

I only want the ST80 because it should give me more in the way of guide star options. I can generally find a guide star with the 'bodge job' but I have to mess about a fair bit with the guidescope rings to find one bright enough... I guess I'm just lazy.

Regards Tony

Yes all sorted. I asked my fiancé to measure the distance between the lens and the eye piece as I held them up then measured from the end of the tube to half way down the extension of the focuser. Didn't have a kitchen roll spare :p could have ended in tears but she did a mighty fine job :)

Good idea with the filter Olly. With it only being 60mm wouldn't that block out valuable light? Hope to get it all up and running this weekend and try to get a few hours on m42 at more than 60s which is all I could manage unguided last year.

Yes all sorted. I asked my fiancé to measure the distance between the lens and the eye piece as I held them up then measured from the end of the tube to half way down the extension of the focuser. Didn't have a kitchen roll spare :p could have ended in tears but she did a mighty fine job :)

Good idea with the filter Olly. With it only being 60mm wouldn't that block out valuable light? Hope to get it all up and running this weekend and try to get a few hours on m42 at more than 60s which is all I could manage unguided last year.

It might, but on the other hand red light is less disturbed by the atmosphere and so you don't end up chasing the seeing. It's time for a bit of experimenting, as ever.

Olly

Archived