Over Slew Limit - Slewing Stopped

Hi

I have just purchased a second hand Skywatcher Skymax 102 Synscan AZ goto telescope. It worked fine for the first couple of nights but now it is saying "over slew limit - slewing stopped". I don't know how to sort this out. I am new to all this. Any help would be great. Thanks

Maybe you are trying to observse something below the horizon or that is above 85 degrees ie straight up.

Not sure where abouts it is on the handset but there is a a system on the handset for setting the limits.

These are normal about +85 and -30.

If you dont have a Handbook for the synscan try downloading one from the Skywatcher web site http://www.skywatcher.com/swtinc/customer_support.php?id=107&class1=1&class2=220

Hope this helps

Maybe you are trying to observse something below the horizon or that is above 85 degrees ie straight up.

Not sure where abouts it is on the handset but there is a a system on the handset for setting the limits.

These are normal about +85 and -30.

If you dont have a Handbook for the synscan try downloading one from the Skywatcher web site http://www.skywatche...s1=1&class2=220

Hope this helps

There could be something in this comment that is correct or close to. "Slew" basically means how far in any direction (left/right/up/down) a scope can go. Because of the design of mounts and the length of scopes, some scopes can only go so far until the OTA starts to hit the tripod leg or the mount itself. It simply will not go any further. I dont think the left/right slewing is the problem. I think its more to do with the up/down movement of the scope.

If you have tried to push the motors too far down (below the horizon) or too far up (towards the overhead zenith), maybe the motors have been crunched a bit and dont know what to do. Its a bit like changing gears in a car while driving........................we all know that horrible grinding noise that can happen. Maybe something similar has happened with your scope?

I really dont know. I am just approaching it from the angle (no pun intended) that your error is reading on your handset.

Hi

The problem only occurs when I add a power supply. I have tried 5 different power supplies and always the same problem but not when I use batteries. Can anybody recommend a power supply or do you think my synscan is faulty?

Thanks for any help

OK forget most of what i just typed.

I know that the Celestron SE range suffer from faulty connection point where you plug the power source into the mount. Perhaps your scope also has this problem?

Essentially what i mean is the socket on the mount that you plug the power source into could be faulty,loose,wobbles etc

Archived