Celestron CG-5 GT GOTO mount quick question...

My first GOTO mount.. (getting lazy!)..

Do I need to polar align it before doing the star alignment?

The manual seems to suggest you only need to polar align to improve accuracy, but if it's not polar aligned to start with then how does it know which way the scope is pointing for alignment?

Basically how do I need to have the mount setup before I turn it on and start doing the alignment process? (this part is not clear in the manual)

thanks!

Yes, you need to polar align but not as accurately as you would for imaging perhaps. You should then do a 2 star alignment and 3 calibration stars. That way the GOTO will be spot on.

You should set up the mount without the scope on it. Align the mount pointing North and then balance it although this is not as important. Then do your Polar alignment ( use a polar scope if you have one ) and then star alignment. Your mount does have an "Allstar Polar Align" routine which is good but it is better to learn how do do it manually.

Thanks for the replies! The manual seems to miss out the polar align step and goes straight to the star alignment routines! It only covers polar alignment later. I guess it assumes you would polar align first like you would with any other equatorial mount..

Thanks for the replies! The manual seems to miss out the polar align step and goes straight to the star alignment routines! It only covers polar alignment later. I guess it assumes you would polar align first like you would with any other equatorial mount..

That's because, if you are using the polar align routine from the handset, then you need to do the star alignment first.

That's because, if you are using the polar align routine from the handset, then you need to do the star alignment first.

To clarify - You don't NEED to polar align the mount manually before you do the star align, though you could if you wanted. All you need to do is point the scope/mount roughly North, then start the alignment routines.

Sorry. Disagree. I have this mount and the GOTO works much better if you PA before star alignment.

Well, I don't need to do that with my CG5-GT. It works just fine by using the alignment routines from the handset. (For both GOTO & tracking)

Well you must be very lucky! :laugh: Of course if you are using the Allstar PA routine then you don't need to manually PA.

I don't know about lucky :grin: but yes, I do use the Allstar P.A. routine. (I also find that it helps to add extra alignment stars to the 2 Star alignment routine too, for increased accuracy).

I don't know about lucky :grin: but yes, I do use the Allstar P.A. routine. (I also find that it helps to add extra alignment stars to the 2 Star alignment routine too, for increased accuracy).

in which case you are correct. Not everyone uses allstar though in which case they should manually PA.

One thing to consider is that the Polar Alignment messes up the GOTO alignment, so you will always need to run the GOTO alignment after you've polar aligned by whichever method is appropriate.

Hasn't this been fixed in a recent firmware update? I'm sure I read that somewhere but can't find anything now.

Archived