Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Darks with different exposure length lights..

andyhicks

For example, if I'm imaging m31 or m42 where it's best to capture some shorter exposures for brighter areas and longer for the fainter detail, how would I go about taking darks?

Should I take a set of darks for each set of lights? How would I process this in DSS?

I normally take lights, darks, bias and flats and then give them to DSS to deal with, I always thought this was a bit too easy and after a bit of reading it seems I was right. Ive never calibrated my flats before, I assumed DSS did everything but I'm not so sure it does?

Probably a bit late for trying to get my head around this but the dark length question was bugging me!

Andy

As you say, you should take a set of darks for each different exposure length.

Last time I imaged M42 I took 3 sets of exposures; 8s, 60s and 300s, stacked each set as individual images and combined them by following this excellent tutorial. I was using the same camera, same mod as you and even at 8s the trapezium was a bit bright, the final image is here.

I think Starflyer's image confirms the virtue of the method! It's a cracker. That's the way I do it as well, following Lodigruss.

Often you don't need shorter exposures (though for M42 you certainly do) because combining two different stretches of the same data will help with overly bright regions.

Olly

Archived