Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First experimental images with uEye e2v CMOS sensor

budski

The first useable RGB set of Jupiter using the new uEye e2v NIR (Near Infra Red) camera. The camera control software is still in it's beta phase and there is still some testing to do. The RGB set (of 30 seconds each at 120 fps = 3600 frames) was processed in AS2! and combined in Photoshop. Seeing was average to poor (a vapour trail just in the wrong place - would you believe!) and a fairly bright Moon to add to the misery.

Cheers

Bud

C11 on CGEM DX mount

post-6215-0-78299500-1347287241_thumb.jp

Hya Budski, I shall reserve judgement for now but co-incidently I was talking to Alistair yesterday about this camera as a possible upgrade to the Flea3 . I am curious as to why you ran the cam at 120fps and for only 30secs per channel, were the skies so bad ? ..and was this thru binning?

I really hope you get some better conds. soon because I'd be very interested to see what can be done at F28-F32 .

Hoy do you find the capture s/ware?? It looks like it should be okay and the "suit" looks interesting.

Hi Karlo, At the moment I'm giving the camera a full work-out to see how it performs in all sorts of configurations. The IDS software is not Astro-friendly and I've been working with Torsten Edelmann using his FireCapture V2.2 beta app while importing camera drivers from IDS's software. I'm visiting the manufacturers tomorrow (Wednesday) with a list of questions and I'll post the replies as soon as I can.

What I can say, however, is how sensitive the NIR chip is to blue light- i.e. I can actually see and focus on details - something I found hard to do with the x618 chip. There are also some issues regarding its performance in high humidity conditions as InfraRed is easily absorbed by water droplets in the atmosphere. Apart from a trip to the Atacama Desert I shall have to wait for a clear night with low humidity.

More soon.

Bud

EV76C661 is a nice chip. I wonder how EV76C660 will perform (should have even higher QE).

I used the older IDS cameras from that line and it worked nicely. For lunar/solar with single channel the IDS software isn't that bad. For planetary RGB FireCapture would be better.

It would be so nice to have all the benefits for use with planetary but then have the bonus of big chip for lunar. ( Have you seen Flavius' lunar test images on CN !!!!!!!) The camera I had been offered as a suggestion to consider was IDS UI-5240CP mono . I believe that has the EV76C660 chip, and the specs look very interesting.

BTW Thanks Rik for all your work/reporting as I may never have found this cam. If s/ware issues relating to capture can be ironed out ( & I'm sure they will) to run with FC then this will certainly be the new "sliced bread" :)

Budski, I hope you have had a productive day, I had been invited but was unable to go, Alistair did say there would be a UK imager attending :)

PS tonight looks very hopeful so get the scope cooled off !

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, apologies for not writing sooner but have been busy with other business matters. The day at Stemmers was a productive one and I spent a lot of the time speaking to the 'back-room' boys regarding the e2v imaging chip and possible ways of improving its performance. I did manage an early morning imaging session two days ago which was the best weather-wise so far this year but still too much humidity. I'll post those results as soon as I've processed them.

Bud

Archived