Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mount place fixing ideas?

GlassWalker

I've just set up the EQ6 in anger for the 2nd time ever and I'm giving it a workout as I type. But the thought is... including setting up all the other imaging kit, it's taken the best part of an hour. I need to speed that up. Plus I don't consider moving the EQ6 fun either...

On my short term "to do" list is to get a proper patio fitted as currently my garden is a mess and the ground is neither flat nor stable. But, is there anything I should do instead or in addition to make the ground better for a fixed mount for some kind? I know some people dig a hole, fill it with concrete then stick a pier in it. Any other ideas?

And probably getting a bit beyond mounts, would a large plastic cover be "sufficient" to protect an EQ6 from the elements if left outside? While it'll keep the rain off, I'm also concerned about dew or other moisture condensing on it. Or the heat of the sun striking it when it does appear. I'm not ready for the full observatory... yet... but I do want to align the mount once really well, then leave it in position.

• 6 months later...

Archived