Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sun in H-alpha with students

michael.h.f.wilkinson

I took the solar scope to the introduction camp of our first-year students, and we were treated to some real fireworks on the sun. Quite a few large prominences showed on the afternoon of September 1. They also showed some changes in shape as the afternoon progressed. Several students, and one colleague were suitably impressed. I used the XW10 for the first time, and it gave very nice views. The XF8.5 did prove a bit easier to use for the less experienced viewers (students), but the XW10 showed nice contrast and of course a wider field of view. The XW7 was also good, and still managed to frame the entire sun without problems, despite the higher magnification.

Next morning I was up and about quite early, and we had another look before and after breakfast. The fireworks were a bit more muted due to hazy cloud, but a lot of students enjoyed the view.

Archived