NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Berlebach Wooden Tripod Spreader

johninderby

Berlebach Tripod Spreader

While I think my Berelbach UNI-18 wooden tripod is great there has always been one thing that irritated me about it. Namely clipping the tray in place when setting it up. Each leg has to be held at the right distance apart as well as holding the tray roughly in position at the same time while clipping it in place. Fiddly and then sometimes the tray doesn't clip into place securely.

I had seen the tripod spreader kit on Berlebach's website and thought it was a bit pricey for what looked like a very simple bit of kit. I'd had enough of messing about with clipping the tray in place though and decided to order it anyway. When I opened the box I was impressed with the build quality. Very nicely machined and anodised parts and very solidly built. No cheap plastic or flimsy sheet metal bits here. Now I know why it's not cheap. There is a wooden disc with a rubber bumper around it fastened to the centre which stops the tripod legs from bashing together when the tripod is folded up.

Fitting it is easy as you simply remove the pins that the tray clipped into, remove one side of the each leg clip (just two screws on each), fit the new larger pins into the ends of the spreader assembly, insert the spreader ends into the leg clips still attached to the legs and fasten the leg clips back on. The centre of the spreader has a bolt that fits through the centre hole in the tripod tray. Most Berlebach trays already have the centre hole drilled, but if not it only takes a few seconds to drill one. You have to remove the metal clips from each corner of the tray first (just two bolts on each). I put some short bolts in the holes just to cover them but it's not really necessary, but it does look better I think.

Initial tests show the tripod is just as solid as with the original tray arrangement and it is easier and quicker to set up. And since it's used with my Skytee 2 mount a quicker set-up is handy. Doesn't make any difference to stability whether the tray is fitted or not.

So overall I'm pleased with the spreader. Not cheap but it is typical Berlebach quality. :smiley:

John

post-1876-0-59178600-1346173693_thumb.jp post-1876-0-39821100-1346173738_thumb.jp post-1876-0-54225600-1346173752_thumb.jp

post-1876-0-10619900-1346173774_thumb.jp post-1876-0-20947000-1346173792_thumb.jp post-1876-0-08136100-1346173813_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...

The spreader was the first accessory I bought when I ordered a new Berlebach tripod. Makes setting up the tripod so much easier. No mor fiddling with 3 separate legs. They all get out together by the same distance and then you simply fast them. Neat addition :)

Thanks for the heads up on this as these tripods are of such good quality. In theory, there is enough thread protruding from the central hub bolt to attach a simple thin try on top before securing off with the hand knob - can then have best of both worlds.

James

Archived