Focal Length of Skywatcher Guide Scope

You'll then need to set up an "eyepiece" for it.

When I did my 9x50 I had no idea what the apparent field of view or the focal length of the eyepiece was. (Still have no idea). But what I DID know was that my finderscope has a field of view of approximately 5.5 deg. So I set up an "eyepiece" using mostly defaults and just tweaked the focal length value until, when in telescope view I had an FOV of 5.44 deg. It says the magnification is 12.5 rather than the 9 that it really is - but the Field of View is what matters and it fits what I actually see.

The FOV for your finder is about 7 deg.

You're welcome :) I did mine pretty much by guesswork and the only figure that really needs to be right is the final FOV that you get when you select your finderscope in Stellarium.

If you get somewhere around 7 deg you'll be able to compare it with your actual view and tweak it from there until it fits.

Yes, we WILL get a clear sky... 1st April 2027

Just tried it. All you need to do is to put the FOV of your finderscope into the aFOV box and check the Binoculars checkbox.

The only downside is that the aFOV can only be entered in whole lumbers. Still, it gives a pretty fair view - and you don't have to research loads of numbers and fiddle with settings; so if you're not too fussed about comparative accuracy this is a quick and simple option.

Oops....

That is: You don't need to set up a Telescope.

Just go to Eyepieces...click on Add... Name it "Finderscope" and put your known (or guessed) FOV into the aFOV input box, and check "Binoculars".

So it's easier to set up and use.

Even if you don't know the FOV of your finderscope - the vast majority of them appear to be between 5 and 7.5 deg, so it wouldn't take long at all by trial it and see to get close.

The only downside is that the aFOV can only be entered in whole lumbers.

Ah yes, I remember now this is a bug. If you find the actual configuration file Stellarium uses (~/.stellarium/modules/Oculars/ocular.ini in Linux, I can't speak for other systems) you can put in a decimal value there.

Archived