NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cheap and Simple Guiding with Webcam & 6x30 finder

russellhq

This is my simple set-up for a guide cam. I've not actually used it for guiding, but for targeting the telescope when I have a webcam in the eyepiece. Makes things much easier when GOTO isn't spot on!

First off take a Logitech Quickcam Pro 3000 and remove all the shell so you are left with just the lens and the circuit board so you end up with:

Stripped%2520Cam.JPG

Next, take a plastic 35mm film can, cut the end of and shove it over the Quickcam (it's a ver snug fit):

Cam_attachment.JPG

Next step is to modifiy your finder scope to accept the film canister. Do this by wrapping paper round the end until you get a snug fit when you push the cam on. you can see the white paper i wrapped round the end in the image above.

Finally, stick push the cam on the end of the finder and away you go!

Complete_assembly.JPG

The advantage of using these cameras is they have quite a sensitive sensor; can be LX modded; and to achieve focus, all you need to do is spin the board which will screw the lens in and out until you reach focus. Simples:)

I was using this set-up last night to help target the scope with the web cam in the eyepiece holder, which I thought was quite a neat solution. No more getting up from the laptop and bending over the scope trying to get the target spot on when using the small webcam sensor!

Just as a matter of interest I scavanged a board, almost the same size, from a film scanner, I use it for the same purpose as Russell. I have put it into a small box now and it is on a 9x50 finder scope, the great thing is that I can see small light down to Mag 8 and this gives me a good chance of getting on any target I wish, lets me star hop well in conjunction with Stellarium which I orientate with.

Jim

Nicely done! Will be looking into doing this myself shortly. I've been looking for the same model web cam you have but can't find any. Do you know how the 4000 compares to the 3000 by chance?

I've got both, initial tests showed the 3000 to be less noisy. I also read that the 4000 range can come with different sensors. The 4000 also has a different lens which would make it trickier to fit to the scope:

QCP4000.JPG

If I get a chance I'll try and do a comparison. The 3000 lens fits on the 4000, so I can connect them both to the scope, simples.

looks great but wouldnt the dew fry that circuit board ??

I've no idea! I plan to put it into a hobby box from Maplin to finish it off.

Also, I used to use this stuff to keep condensation off computer components when they were cooled below zero. Just smear it all over and Bob's your Uncle!

Dow Corning DC4 Electrically Insulating Compound

http://uk.farnell.co...-100g/dp/537019

I've got both, initial tests showed the 3000 to be less noisy. I also read that the 4000 range can come with different sensors. The 4000 also has a different lens which would make it trickier to fit to the scope:

If I get a chance I'll try and do a comparison. The 3000 lens fits on the 4000, so I can connect them both to the scope, simples.

If you don't mind a quick test that would be awesome! I would only use it for a guide cam so don't think the noise level would play that big of a factor....or does it?

I was interested in this idea, then I thought about how I could do this with my Microsoft lifecam.

I made a polarscope cam using a bung end and the lifecam a while ago. It works reasonably well through the polarscope, so I thought maybe I can adapt things so that I can fit it onto the finderscope.

As a temporary measure I wrapped some gaffer tape around the eyepiece tube of the 9x50 finderscope leaving enough off the end so I could fit the dust cap.

th_IMG_0130.jpg

This is how it looks with the polar cam fitted

th_IMG_0129.jpg

And this is the view from the camera

th_Test.png

OK so this is inside, but its cloudy and since it looks like I get when looking at it inside, it may work ;-)

Fingers crossed and looking for a clear night hehe

Archived