Switching to AZ from EQ1?

I have an ST80 on an EQ1 - bought all in for £120.

Now, I never use it polar aligned, I basically treat it as alt-az. So I wondered about replacing it with an alt-az, since I think an AZ3 would be about 2.5kg lighter. This would be easier to stick in my bags for flights, as much as anything, which I'm hoping to do for the first time soon.

However when I look it seems an AZ3 will cost nearly as much again as my whole setup! What?!?

Is there a better way? I have a very cheap camera tripod but it's pretty rough and I don't really want to lose the slo-mo controls anyway.

Looking at the AZ3 it looks like the legs are the same as the EQ1, could I get just the 'head' from somewhere?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

Unfortunately I was wrong, the AZ3 is beefier than the EQ1 so the legs are different. Thanks to Jim for his help with this.

I can't find an az3 cheaper than £100 which seems bonkers (you can get a scope with it for an extra tenner!) so it looks like I'll be taking the EQ1 on holiday with me.

The ST80's work very well on the AZ-3 mounts although mounting the tube is not quite as easy as it seems because the scope is so short. I ended up having to make my own bracket to facilitate this.

If they come up on the used market the AZ-3's can be had for £50 or less. You could try putting a "wanted" advert onto the UK Astro Buy & Sell website and see what comes up.

An alternative might be a sturdy photo tripod but these can cost as much as the AZ-3 mount.

Thanks John and PorkyB (and Jim again via PM). I have to decide if convenience and saving the £10s for extra baggage is worth the extra outlay!

Again, thanks to everyone for your help I appreciate it.

Archived