Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

tripod advice, unsure of type to get

dxm

Hello All.

So I have had a unbranded telescope for a while. It came with a short 'table top' type of tripod.

As it is a reflector scope I find it almost impossible to target objects with the very basic controls on this tripod.

So I am thinking about getting something more substantial, taller and with better controls.

(Please forgive any dodgy nomenclature, I'm rather inexperienced with this stuff).

Anyway, I'm not sure what type of tripod to get. Specifically I am unsure if there are different ways one can mount a telescope to a tripod.

I've attached a photo of the existing tripod and the hole that the tripod is screwed into. i.e. that's how it appears one attaches the telescope to this tripod.

Do all tripods work this way?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

post-25370-0-92757900-1344587932_thumb.j

post-25370-0-48416100-1344587933_thumb.j

Hello and welcome to the forum :smiley:

Small scopes sometimes use the method that your scope does but most use a pair of tube rings and a bar, known as a dovetail bar, which is clamped into a dovetail slot on the top of the mount. Occasionally you can bolt the tube rings straight onto the mount and dispense with the dovetail bar.

The table top mount fitted to your scope is not stable enough for astronomy really (having tried one myself !) and your scope would benefit from a better mounting arrangement. I can't see what size scope you are using but possibly an equatorial mount such as the Skywatcher EQ2 or an alt-altimuth mounth like the Skywatcher AZ-3 would provide a suitable platform for it. You would need to budget around £100 (maybe less on the 2nd hand market) to move to a mount of that type.

Alternatively you might want to put that money towards a whole replacement scope which may well give you more satisfaction in the long run. Something like this perhaps (which includes the EQ2 mount pictured):

http://www.firstligh...plorer-130.html

That picture also shows the tube rings approach that I've mentioned above.

Archived