NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Telrad placement advice?

Hi,

I have the SW 200p/EQ5 set up and as most of you know, it can get you in some strange positions when pointed in certain directions. I dont have the rings mod that allows me to spin the tube, but have got a Telrad to add to the finderscope but not sure where to place it.

Also I wondered if it works when placed at the back end of scope rather than up by the focuser, as the tube comes close to hitting the mount sometimes and this is a big part of why I'm asking - as well as general advice as to placing a Telrad on my 200p/EQ5.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions in advance.

Regards

Aenima

im not sure how its position works with a equatorial mount without rings ,but most certainly want it toward the front end in my opinion. otherwise it just makes it harder to use. try useing cable ties to position it ,then if your unhappy you can try another position . thats what i did with the telrad on my refractor and dob.

Imho it will be most comfortable to use at the front in the middle of the tube next to the finder (or in place of it). If it ends up under the tube when you point the scope you will turn the tube in it's rings anyway to bring the focuser and eyepiece to a comfy position. So the telrad will come with it when you turn the tube.

I wouldn't have it at the bottom of the tube - it would still work but you'll be on your knees using it half the time - certainly when pointing at the zenith. HTH :)

Useful info for me too thanks, i have the same scope and an unfitted telrad. btw has anyone got info on the rings mod, fed up undoing my bolts to spin. is it just a matter of fitting another pair so it can't slide down and leave the primary ones loose? or is there a proper kit with runners etc?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

If you get a third tube ring you can fit that butted up to the top tube ring (don't attach it to the dovetail). This will hold the tube safely in position when you spin it.

A cheaper alternative is to get a large jubilee clip and feed it through a length of garden hose. Fit in the same way as above - you just need to stop the main tube slipping when you loosen the tube rings to spin it.

You can get kits - some with bearings - but they are £silly money. :)

Cheers guys,

Didnt think it would work at the back end but worth asking in case anyone has done it successfully. I do want to make that ring/tube spinner modification but till then im thinking the telrad would be ok adjacent to the focus or nearabouts so when one finder is hard to reach, the other can be used. I bought it as an extra rather than replacement finder, and of course to help locate objects now I dont have goto.

Im still a little unsure of the above plan for telrad placement, if anyone thinks it'd be problematic let me know - i'm new to EQmounts and telrads so be grateful for any heads up.

Thanks again

Regards

Aenima

Archived