Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A quick look at the moon

prasadka

Hi

I atlast got a copy of turn left at orion from the local library today. After spending a while hunting for Andromeda unsuccesfully and partly succesfully later on with Peonic's help, and dinner of chapatis, dal and rice, I decided to watch the moon for a while. I had also not tested the 10mm and 15mm EPs that I'd picked up off Andrew (Astrophethean) on the moon. I should say here that the EPs (celestron 15mm and Orion 10mm) are a joy to use. The Orion plossl was in particular, brilliant on the moon.

Back to the topic, I learnt three places on the moon today. Copernicus, the alps and plato. It was 1:30 by then and had to wind up.

Cheers,

Prasad

P.S. I could not however locate the two small craters below copernicus in the map at turn left at orion. Any pointers will be much appreciated.

I don't have my lunar map handy, but the craters in that area are pretty much eroded, IIRC, and hard to see unless the sun is at a pretty shallow angle. I was trying to see Fra Mauro and it's two companions the other night, and it was very, very difficult. That is probably why you couldn't see them.

Look carefully at Copernicus, it has several peaks in the centre.

Glad you had an enjoyable night out. I'm looking for Turn Left at Orion, too. Every place I go is sold out.

Archived