NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Double stars with naked eye

So what I mean is when I look up in to the sky some stars look quite close and I wonder if they could be bound by gravitational forces of each other? How far are binarys appart? could we see a system tht the stars tht are gravity bound appear split already to.the naked eye...? Does anyone know what I'm trying to say?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

Not all doubles are gravitationally bound and of those that are the distances vary considerably. However, there is a story I think that to be either a soldier or an archer in one of the ancient armies you were supposed to be able to see one star as a double or something like that. Mizar and Alcor, perhaps?

James

Mizar and Alcor appear as a double star to the naked eye, but they are not a true binary system. A telescope will reveal that Mizar has a companion star that revolve around each other in a few thousand years. Mizar A and B both have even closer companion stars to close to resolve in even a large telescope. Mizar A's companion star revolves around Mizar in about 20 days and Mizar B's companion star revolves around Mizar B in about 6 months

Many double stars visible with the naked eye aren't true doubles and a simple pair of binoculars can resolve many stars into close and true binaries. In reality, binary systems can be anywhere from a few AU's to hundreds of light years apart from each other and revolve around each other in a few days to about 100,000 years.

Archived