NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Observation deck

astrospace

Hi everyone,

I have no room for an observatory or roll-off shed but can remember seeing an article in one of the US mags some years back where a chap had built an observation deck using decking and putting down three presumably concrete, mini piers for the tripod legs of his set up. It gave him a raised observing area where he could put down his scope. I think he'd put holes in the decking for the mini piers so that walking on the decking didn't vibrate the scope.

Anybody done that?

At the moment I have patio slabs down which are OK but naturally when you step on them close to the tripod legs there's always a slight vibration so I got to wondering about decking as it would still fit in with a nice garden and not look out of place yet still give a good platform for the scope.

Paul

I am currently (litterally right now) imaging from a crazy paving patio. I don't get vibration problems as the base is fairly solid. I guess if jumped up and down beside the scope it's going to affect it (but that's something I try to avoid). Isolating the scope mount from your walking floor though sounds like a good plan.

I started with three holes drilled into concrete flags to locate my tripod legs, which was fine but the flags lifted during the winter and now I have gone for a pier and deck and hopeful will have a shed soon.

Try a fence post digger to create a round hole and wood box for casting a raised concrete pads these should not move.

post-15188-0-63659000-1343673570_thumb.j

post-15188-0-54745500-1343673611_thumb.j

"normal" decking has small groves on the top surface that allows any water to collect and run off to prevent slipping. Water might become a problem when flat boards are used as in the pictures above.

But who is observing in the rain? :D

Archived