eq5 upgrade to goto advice?

hi all

im considering upgrading our eq5 with a goto kit to make locating objects a bit simpler,i dont seem to be having much sucess with the dials on the mount.

our current mount is the basic one with no motors so i would need to get the compleat kit so its not cheap.

i would like to also have a go at imaging.

so i just have a few questions,is the system quite accurate when put on an eq5 mount?is that system also suitable for imaging aswell as the goto.

also is there any other options we could look at possibly linking to the computer i notice thats also possible if we get the motor kit and say an st4 box,can that work as goto too or just track?

thanks

The EQ5 is a great little mount and can indeed be upgraded to GoTo. However, if deep sky imaging is your end goal, the mount is a little on the light side so think carefully before you spend money on the upgrade as you could be better off putting the money towards an HEQ5 GoTo mount instead.

Either mount can be controlled by your PC and both GoTo and autoguided tracking would be possible.

hi thanks

at the moment this mount only just fits in the car and to be honest i wouldnt want to go much heavier,do you mean the weight to keep it stable,if so would adding weight to say the tripod support make it a little more stable?

i am quite happy with the mount and this is our first proper scope so its all a learning curve so basic lunar imaging would be great i could always upgrade the mount etc in a year or so.

we are basicaly sturggling to locate things and as we realy need to take the scope in the car to get the best sky it would be good if we could spent less time searching and more time observing.

so goto should help with the navigation but also allow some basic imaging?

i think my wife would also have more benifit from the goto system.

i was just wondering if say for the same cost as the skywatcher upgrade i think its around £300 we could have a better system going down the link to laptop route?

i have seen a guide to linking the mount to phd softwhere does that work as a goto system?

thanks for any help

Hi Timbo - Phd software is for guiding only and has to be linked to a full "goto" mount - it won't do the goto for you. Upgrading for £300 might not be the most cost effective way and will be a lot of work. You'd be better selling the current mount and putting the money towards a full EQ5 goto solution.

Alternatively I would recommend the Celestron CG5 GT Goto which is almost the same but a lot more robust and more sophisticated in the software - but just as easy to use. You can buy new for around £500 or get a good second hand one anywhere between £250-£350 depending on age, condition, and extras.

A cheaper solution would be to add tracking motors for around £100 to your existing mount. You'll still have to find stuff but it'll stay in the eyepiece longer and give you the opportunity for some very basic imaging. Hope that helps :)

I got EQ5 with goto upgrade with SW 200 on it

Its ok I guess but theres limits to this setup

any wind and subs ruined cos this scope is bit too much for imaging unless you have it shielded from wind etc

so while its possible for DSO imaging its far from ideal

I said it here couple times If i knew what i know now I would have gone for NE6 strait away

Back to your question, If you have laptop try to look for upgrade kit without handheld, that could save some money, as you wont need it.

here are some examples what you can get out of this set up not great but I am happy with it :)

post-24555-133877768544_thumb.jpg

post-24555-13387776855_thumb.jpg

do you mean the weight to keep it stable,if so would adding weight to say the tripod support make it a little more stable?

I am thinking more in terms of carrying capacity - i.e. the weight/size of the telescope that it will handle with ease when imaging over long exposure times.

For Lunar work, an EQ5 would be fine but as shown above, there are perhaps other options to consider.

I think if you are already looking to spend £300 on goto upgrade for the eq5 you would be much better off getting a 2nd hand heq5-pro instead. You can get 1 for around 400-450 and can reclaim some of that by selling your original eq5.

I have the heq and can tell you that you wont regret it. Mine also lives in the boot of my car as I live in a flat. You will however need a decent power pack to supply it as they can be fussy eaters. On the up side tho, they are solid. Takes a decent gust of wind to shake the 200pds I have on mine. Also once properly aligned it tracks realy well and goto generaly puts whatever you ask of it straight into the centre of your ep.

I dont honestly see the point of spending £300 now and then maybe to upgrade again in a year. Upgrade now and be glad in a year that you did.

Also if you find that astronomy isnt for you, you can sell for same as what you bought as 2nd hand prices are pretty static.

Archived