NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

measurments

For the less experienced folks like me can somebody give the approximate measurments for degrees etc. I mean I read somewhere about the moon being so many degrees wide etc? Just so that when I am using my book and it says from Epsilon (think that correct) Pegasus go 2.3 N and 3.5W

Also I think there is something about an outstretched hand being roughly xxx degrees as well?

BTW Can you name the object from the refrences? :wink:

The only ones I vaguely remember are.

a fist ( across the knuckles ) at arms length is about 10 degrees

your little finger tip a arms length is about 0.5 degree - the size of full moon.

You could make a scale with 0.9 cm (9mm) marks on the edge and hold it about 50cm from your eye - the distance between each mark in the sky would be about 1 deg.

John

The ones printed all over are...

full moon / sun = half a degree (30 arc minutes)

1st finger at arms length = 1 degree

fist at arms length = 10 degrees

outstretched hand at arms length = 25 degrees pinkie to thumb

Just so we're clear, the sky is 360 degrees round with each degree being split into 60 arc-minutes and each minute split into a further 60 arc-seconds. So 1 degree = 60 arcminutes = 3600 arcseconds.

the moon is 36 arcminutes wide/tall, so just over half a degree... therefore, 2.3 degrees is about 4-5 times the size of the moon. I seem to remember somewhere that the three middle fingers (like a cubs/scouts salute) is 5 degrees

Archived