NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

HEQ5 or EQ6 for 6 inch frac?

huwbellamy

Morning all,

I have ordered an HEQ5 for my Celestron C6R f8 refractor as I think the CG5 (EQ5) it came with is a little shaky under all that weight (about 10kg with all visual bits). I will only be using it for visual at present. Some folks seem to think an HEQ5 will be a big step up from the CG5 in terms of stability (mine is the latest incarnation) but others say not so. Does anybody have any experience of the gains made my popping a big frac on a HEQ5 rather than a CG5. I would grudgingly spend more if the majority vote was in favour of an EQ6 - even then though I have been told by a chum that I'd need something even sturdier for imaging if I decided to later.

Help me spend my money, Huw.

I have a 250mm newt on a HEQ5 mount and have only noticed vibration when it gets a little breezy.It seems to track vibration free.

I'm no imaging expert but i've managed to take some half decent piccies at 30 second exposure(max my camera will do :wink: )with no signs of vibration.

I would grudgingly spend more if the majority vote was in favour of an EQ6 - even then though I have been told by a chum that I'd need something even sturdier for imaging if I decided to later.

Your chum is mistaken!

I would have said that the HEQ5 would be a good match for a 150mm Refractor although the EQ6 is somewhat more sturdy but it IS a big lump! The EQ6 really is very substantial indeed but the HEQ5 is more 'manageable'.

Morning all,

I have ordered an HEQ5 for my Celestron C6R f8 refractor as I think the CG5 (EQ5) it came with is a little shaky under all that weight (about 10kg with all visual bits). I will only be using it for visual at present. Some folks seem to think an HEQ5 will be a big step up from the CG5 in terms of stability (mine is the latest incarnation) but others say not so. Does anybody have any experience of the gains made my popping a big frac on a HEQ5 rather than a CG5. I would grudgingly spend more if the majority vote was in favour of an EQ6 - even then though I have been told by a chum that I'd need something even sturdier for imaging if I decided to later.

Help me spend my money, Huw.

Hi Huw,

I use my Evostar 6" refractor on a HEQ5 mount and I can assure you that this handles the ota with no problem whatsover, even when at 250+ magnification. Any vibrations are damped out in less than 2 seconds. I have had my 6" refractor track Jupiter for over an hour with a 5.5mm Meade series 5000 eyepiece fitted and the planet was still in the center of the fov at 218x. There is a big difference between an EQ5 and a HEQ5, try lifting them and you'll see what I mean !!

Rest easy with your decision to mount your C6R on a HEQ5 as you have made a great choice.

Jim

Thank you all for the replies. I was hoping for the consensus that the HEQ5 was sufficient. I can't wait to get it and use the new Burgess Optical 9mm I've bought. I plan to use it as my high mag eyepiece either alone or with my ED Barlow. Would have gone for the Meade 5000 myself but as a spec wearer the 20mm relief of the Burgess sounds attractive. I can certainly vouch for the 5000 32mm.

Will report back on new purchases soon.

Cheers all, Huw.

Cheers Greg,

I was considering PM-ing you to ask your advice. Hope Steve will forgive me for canvassing opinion after I'd placed the order. He advised that the HEQ5 was an improvemnt over the CG5 but my curious nature got me thinking.

I only got nervous after typing HEQ5 into the SGL search box and getting a mixture of opinion - though to be fair none applied to a large frac anyway. Todays flurry of positive reports regarding big fracs has put to bed any fears I had and the extra money I had potentially earmarked for an EQ6 can go towards fun stuff like eyepieces!

Good news, Huw.

I was considering PM-ing you to ask your advice. Hope Steve will forgive me for canvassing opinion after I'd placed the order. He advised that the HEQ5 was an improvemnt over the CG5 but my curious nature got me thinking.

No problem Huw...I have a habit of doing the same thing, I think it's good to have reassurance..

Any questions regarding the handset or setting up please contact me..

Greg

Archived