Helmi stream

mdstuart

You learn something every day.

Apparantly there is a stream of stars outside our galaxy that are perhaps the remnants of a former small galaxy..

Famous through a planet discovered on one of these stars...

WELL

You know me. I now want to see this stream of stars...As Fornax is too low for the UK to see the mag 9 star with the planet noted earlier....are there others we can see. Is there a list of them with perhaps charts to show them in a line accross the sky etc....

I know one of you experts will point me to the resource I am looking for...

Mark

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmi_stream

Yes it could be. You know an astronomer who has a star stream named after him!!!!!! WOW..

So...this stream...apparantly has a star in it with a planet going around it and the planet has a lack of complex molecules in it which is why they think it does not belong to our galaxy and hence the stream...BUT it is only 2000 ly away in the direction of Fornax...Our galactic disk is 1000 light years thick so this star is outside the the disk but not as far out as some objects such that intergalactic globular NGC 2419..The star is mag 9 apparantly

Anyway I was looking for a list of mag 9-11 stars that could be observed that are in this stream.. I am presuming if you put them on a star chart they follow a line accross the sky on the basis they are in a stream...but maybe I am not understanding it correctly..

Maybe I should start looking for a stream of stars that can be called the Stuart stream?

Mark

Archived