Hi new user

Hi I'm new here, have read many great posts from this forum in the past so choosing this forum was the right thing to do. I have a question to ask and hope it can be answered here or I can be directed to someone that can help me. My question is as follows, I have an older Mede 10 inch LX 200. This still has the old fork mount. As mentioned I am new and this also applies to using a telescope. I have a rather hard time tracking objects so I'm betting I am not aligning the scope correctly. My question is can I put thus scope on another mount and how hard would that be. Thank you very Much

Hi and welcome to SGL.

I don't know much about the LX200. From what I can see on the internet it looks like the mount has goto on it and should be more than capable of tracking stars etc. Hopefully someone who has one will be along soon to help you out. If not try posting the question again but using a different title. Something like "Help! LX200 tracking problem" may do the trick.

Good luck

Luke

Used to have a smaller 8" version (with a different name). A that as a doddle to use.

As I remember you had to have it fairly accurately pointing north (used a compass) and make sure that the scope tube was completely horizontal (spirit level helps) before use. Then go into the alignment process and make sure the the star is centred correctly before going onto the second and then do the same. After that the it should be set pretty good. I can remember finding Jupiter (just typed it in), then made sure it was centred with the slew controls. Viewed for an hour or so, before being called into dinner and when I came back out almost two hours later it was still slap in the middle when I looked through it, so it should not be a problem.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and enjoy yout time with us.

Thanks will do. The lx 200 I am talking about is an older telescope, it's not go to. It has a drive Motor but it's very old, I could take some pictures of it and post them. I was looking at the EQ6, I think this would be OK but now I have to find out who sells that Mount. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Hi Ya ecwwc, you say an "older" LX200, let me tell you that the LX 200 Meades I think, are, and still is the "top of the range" of the Meades, I used to own an LX90 Meade. The only difference, I think, are the coatings on the mirror/lens - not sure how old the scope is but the earlier coatings were very good and long lasting, only surpassed by the UHTC (Ultra High Transmission Coatings), previously they were the UTC coatings I think (from memory).

If the scope is anything like the LX 90 which I had for several years and found it to be a fantastic scope, they use the same Optical Tube Assembley (OTA) - the only difference between the LX 90 and LX200 is the mount - the LX200 was a far superior mount, but not sure of the set up procedure - the LX90 set up was as follows :-

Place the tripod on firm level ground. Then using a spirit level, LEVEL the tripod across the 3 legs in each direction, once level, put the Tube Assembley on the tripod and point to the North Celestial Pole ( the north star - Polaris) and make sure that the Tube is level (Use the circle at the top of the fork arm with the incremented disk and when the tube is level on the tripod - set the scale to zero by rotating the scale after loosening the clamp which holds the disk) and then power the mount up and select a bright star from the handset and the scope slews to the star, centre in the Eyepiece and then select another bright star well away from the 1st star, press enter and the scope slews to the next star, centre this 2nd star in the eyepiece and press enter - the scope should then be aligned - you can then select objects from the vast database or just select "Tour" and this shows the best objects in the night sky.

You may need a little knowledge of the brightest stars/constellations, but I must say that the LX200 was and is a fantastic scope, with a little work and a grasp of the basics to get you up and running you will have night after night of really nice views, remember if you live away from artificial light , the better, but bear in mind that light pollution is a bugbear of the gazer - stick with the brighter Messier objects (the M catalogue in the handset).

There are alot of people on here who use the LX200's - really - they are a fantastic scope - you having the 10" - a very capable scope you have there.

Just wait for some more replies - they will come - and possible LX200 owners can give you a little more help than me, but I just thought that - you just need to iron out a few things to get you up and running and don't let the age of the scope worry you - the mirror/lens coating will last a long time and the tripod/mount are amongst the best out there. Regards Paul

http://www.astronomysite.com/hidden/archivemonths?arcid=mapug1

Hi, Just a quick edit, I've found this link to the MAPUG (Meade Advanced Product User Group) archive, now that we are all clouded out, you can have a browse here to see if there are any tips for you - Paul.

I just found the book that came with the scope, it says 10 inch Schmidt Cassegrain Model 2120

Thank you, let me try and explain it a little better, this scope does not have a handset to select objects, everything must be done by hand, the only power this scope has it two little black boxes that help the scope track I'm guessing, when I plug the black box in the bottom of the fork mount base I can here the motor running.

The scope is in really like new condition, my Grandfather had it I think back in the 70s, I'm guessing and rarely ever used it, it was packed away for quite a long time, but everything works on it like a champ. One thing I can tell you is that it's rather heavy both the tube and Mount are like carrying bags of cement.

Since I would be lost trying to find things other than the Moon I thought it would be a good idea to mount it on something that had a go to feature.

Any help would be appreciated Thank you

Does the book mention a handset ?

As in #497 or similar number anywhere ?

Or the words AutoStar ?

If you do not have a handset then I guess it is lost, will need further information from you.

If the handset is lost then your only real options are to locate another, or run the scope from a laptop with suitable software for your model.

Check the base unit of the scope for connections marked HBX, and another hopefully marked 12v.

Being the size it is use a long focal length eyepiece to start with, makes finding things easier.

Looks like you should have an AutoStar 2 handset.

The illistration on the Meade Site would indicate that the keypad is an early design.

Did locate this:

MEADE AUTOSTAR II HANDBOX FOR LX-200 GPS SCOPES,W/CORD-----------------------$95

Guy in the US runs a sort of breakers yard for scope bits.

Archived