Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

July 7, 2012: Nice set of prominences

Yesterday I had a quite extensive look with the little Lunt. After tuning the etalon I had some brilliant views of a fountain-like prominence on the southern half (eastern limb). It somehow reminded me of the first images of volcanic eruptions on Io. The active region I spotted on the limb the day before was easier to see now, including a curious ridge running across the surface near the north-eastern limb. Further tuning made three curved prominences on the north-western limb. Really a lot going on.

I got the kids, the missus, and the in-laws looking through the scope, and they were all suitably impressed. The Pentax XF8.5 mm EP is really useful in this field, and it is very comfortable, and the rubber eye-cup can easily be adjusted to everybody's liking. This made it quite easy for inexperienced observers to get a good view.

Archived