Help needed, sharpcap - imaging nooby

I got my first images with my asdacam of the moon using sharpcap. Everything seemed to work brilliantly even through thin cloud and windy conditions.

My problem is that 2 minutes of capture (avi) resulted in a file exactly 2.5GB!

what have I done wrong?

Sounds about right to me ,

By the time you've put it through Registax and it's done its thing you'll end up with a single Tiff or Jpeg frame .

If you're worried about disk space and want to keep your original avi (recommend this for a beginner , you can redo later if you want when you've got used to the process) then burn it onto a cd and then delete from your computer.

The more frames you capture the more good frames you'll have to stack .

What you can do if you liked that avi and if it's to big to upload anywhere what you can do is use convertor avi to wmv ideal if you want to upload video to like youtube

or just lower the settings in the software. you want to set it to basic avi recording.

There is another way of reducing the size and that is curtailing the length of the avi. Do a test, check how many frames you capture per minute, possibly you have enough in one minute for use in Registax to get a good image. If a one minute lenght does okay, use that, delete and start again until you have a few very good frames to stack, hope that make sence but the only way to do it if space is at a premium. Or the other way is if you have a spare USB slot, buy a memory stick, or failing that an SD card if you have a slot for that.

Jim

I downloaded and used registax 6 and I am totally finding it a nightmare. I will try registax 5 tonight. I followed guides but my final stacked image looks like a disco ball. :/

This is the only capture I have (thanks to clouds) I am not short on space but rather supprised by the filesize. I will copy the file and try converting it to a more manageable size for upload (thanks cliff)

and will re stack a smaller set of frames in registax 5 (I got thousands of frames)

Thank you all. I think a mod should close this thread and I will start another when needed as my problem has changed somewhat to registax issue and not a sharpcap one.

Archived