NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

guiding with a st102

Daniel-K

just put a wanted ad on ABS for a ST80 OR A ST102 i would prefer to use the 102 just to give me that bit more light grasp for guide stars, will be ok for guiding? would this mean i have to use a side by side bar for imaging?

You don't need light grasp in a guide scope, you need F ratio and field of view. I think both scopes are F5 and clearly the FOV is larger in the 80 so you will have more guide star candidates. It would be the better choice. (I used to piggyback a small apo on a 10 SCT and guide with the SCT. It was an abominable guidescope and struggled to find guide stars because of its slow F ratio and miniscule FOV. Go for the 80. I use them on both my refractor rigs.) I have them bolted down hard, no guide rings, no flexure.

Olly

Just seen your new question. Yes, the Equinox would be fine. I've also guided and imaged through my ZS66. The ST80 is faster so better, but the 66 is effective.n On the cheap ST80 I bolt the focuser up mercilessly tight to stop flexure. On a nicer scope I might be more gentle...

Archived